Yes, you can sell your home yourself. Commonly referred to FSBO [for sale by owner] There aren’t any legal restrictions preventing you from doing so. But, this can be quite time-consuming and our view would be that we would more than pay for our fee by a multiple in the price we would achieve. Some people might enjoy the process of selling their own home but it should not be understated.
You get to meet the potential buyers and tell them all about your house and the local area – you might have more knowledge of your road and the area you live in than an Estate Agent. In fact, some people viewing the house might be pretty happy meeting the current owner of the house, while getting to ask them whatever questions they want about the house.
Saying that if you appoint a good agent they have done this hundreds if not thousands of times and if they have mastered the craft then they will likely create the demand for the house by marketing it properly and also dealing with all prospects in a timely and professional manner.
But, with all that said there is a lot involved with selling a home and not to be underestimated.
– You need to prepare your property for sale, we have written an article on how to present your home before you put it on the market.
– Getting photographs of the property professionally taken
– Getting a for sale sign up
– Advertising it on the appropriate websites
– Organising viewings
– Letting people you don’t know into your home and trying to gauge interest
– Accepting bids and finally accepting an offer – not knowing if you have achieved the best price for your home as you are not experienced in selling homes and
what Estate Agents are achieving for similar properties in the area.
– Conveyancing is next and you need to appoint a Solicitor for this to do the necessary paper work.
This whole process for someone that is inexperienced can take a lot longer than expected and invariably will be stressful.
The norm in Ireland is to appoint an experienced Esate Agent such as ourselves who have over 30 years experience. Click here to see why you should appoint us to sell your property. We also have some further Tips on Presenting Your Property. You will also need a solicitor to prepare the contracts and execute the transfer of the property at the closing date.
Get a Free Property Valuation If You Are Thinking of Selling
This is a free service and there is no obligation to engage our services.
Our dedicated team of valuation experts have over thirty years’ experience of selling commercial and residential property in Dublin and North Wicklow and their extensive local knowledge can point you in the right direction.
Pagespeed Optimization by Lighthouse.
Tell us why you are here…
…so we can tailor the website to your needs.